Westmeath County Council has indicated that it will have to re-start its planning process for new flood barriers in Athlone due to an administrative oversight.
Some 310 metres of flood walls and barriers are planned along the west bank of the Shannon, between the town bridge and downstream of the Lock Gates, as part of the Athlone Flood Alleviation Scheme.
In a statement issued to local media earlier today (Friday), the local authority said its planning process for the flood defences had been delayed.
"Due to an administrative oversight, Westmeath County Council must recommence the Part 8 planning process for the above Flood defence works," said the statement.
"The particular issue is that the public notice did not make reference to the impact on protected structures, as required under the Planning and Development Regulations 2001.
"A new public notice will be published next week and the Part 8 documentation will be on display from Wednesday July 19.
"The Council apologises for any inconvenience or confusion this matter has caused."