Here are the local pharmacies now offering the one-shot Covid vaccine
From today (Monday) people aged 50 or over who are not already vaccinated can make an appointment to get a Covid-19 vaccine at one of a number of local pharmacies.
Many pharmacies are now offering this age group the Janssen single-dose vaccine, but people will need to book their appointment directly with the pharmacy.
The HSE has issued the following list, and phone numbers, of pharmacies in South Westmeath, South Roscommon and West Offaly which are scheduled to provide Covid vaccines for the over-50s:
* Concannons Pharmacy, Unit 2 Avondale Shop Centre, Ballymahon Road, Athlone, 09064 77776
* Concannons Pharmacy, 11 Mardyke Street, Athlone, 090 6478667
* Cunningham's Pharmacy, 5 Auburn Retail Centre, Dublin Road, Athlone, 090 6477739
* Glasson Pharmacy, Glasson Village, 090 6485959
* McGorisk's Pharmacy, The Crescent, Ballymahon Road, Athlone, 090 6474559
* Cunninghams Pharmacy, Block C, River Village, Monksland, Athlone, 090 6490242
* Aidan Walsh Allcare Pharmacy, The Medical Hall, Ferbane, 090 6454321.
Roscommon-Galway TD Denis Naughten said the country was in "a race against time" to try to get as many people vaccinated as possible before there's a significant outbreak of the Delta variant of the Covid-19 virus.
"We have already seen the UK postpone the reopening of aspects of its economy due to the Delta variant and it is important that as many people as possible avail of vaccination here as soon as it becomes available to them," said Deputy Naughten.
Those aged between 40 and 69 can register for a free Covid-19 vaccine on the website vaccine.hse.ie and it is expected that later this week this will be extended to those aged 30-39.