Westmeath Slimming World consultants offer weight-loss tips
With every new year comes resolutions – and one of the most common is to lose weight. So, if you’re looking to kick-start your 2024 with a lasting change, Westmeath’s slimming experts are here sharing their top tips to make your new year weight-loss resolutions a reality, without giving up your favourite foods.
Caroline, who will be celebrating 12 years as a Slimming World consultant on January 9, said: "With the rise of trendy fad diets, people are often seduced by the promise of fast weight loss and take quick-fix routes to lose weight – however, those methods of weight loss aren’t sustainable – who wants to feel hungry all the time or give up their favourite foods indefinitely? Especially when that often means that by February, Consultant resolutions are a distant memory."
All consultants have been trained by a company that has more than 50 years of experience in food, building a physically active lifestyle and the psychology of mindset and behaviour change for lasting weight loss.
Slimming World believe that building on new skills and new habits is the real secret alongside following their famous eating plan.
John (Banjo Quinn), who has eight years of experience as a consultant, said: "Our members lose weight by making small changes to the way they shop, cook and eat, and filling up on Free Food – foods that are low in calories but satisfying, like pasta, lean meat, fruit, veg, potatoes and more.
"Those foods are low in calories, and they fill you up – so there is no need to be hungry. The great news is that our members can still enjoy their favourite meals, as well as learning to become more active they will get bucket-loads of support along the way. They develop healthy habits that they can keep up for life, so that when they reach their target weight but stay there forever."
So, this new year, take advantage the experience and expert knowledge that the Slimming World consultants in Mullingar can offer you.
Cathriona, who has more than six years of experience as a Slimming World consultant, also shares her top tips to help you discover a new you in 2024:
1. Make small and simple swaps: a huge misconception about losing weight is that you have to make dramatic changes and survive on lettuce leaves and carrot sticks. However, with Slimming World’s Food Optimising eating plan, members are encouraged to make small and simple swaps like switching from oil to low-calorie cooking spray and full-fat butter to low-fat spread, and swapping the white bread for wholemeal bread.
2. Plan, plan, plan: losing weight is much easier when you get in the habit of planning your meals for the week. Pick meals that you know you’ll enjoy, try new dishes to keep things interesting and make a shopping list – it’s impossible to enjoy healthy meals if you don’t have the foods you need to make them in your kitchen.
3. Get support: when you’re losing weight, having a strong support system around you is vital. If you join a Slimming World group, your fellow members, who are all on the same journey as you, will celebrate with you and boost your weight loss when you’re doing well, and pick you up if you ever have a more difficult week.
4. Get active: but don’t run before you can walk. If you currently lead a more sedentary lifestyle, and the thought of exercise makes you sweat, don’t let your fears steer you away from getting active – exercise isn’t just about Lycra and aerobic classes. At Slimming World we encourage our members to make simple swaps – from taking the lift and using the car for short journeys to taking the stairs and walking to the shops. Increase your activity levels gradually until you reach the recommended level of 30 minutes five times a week.
5. Track your progress: having a visual reminder of your long-term goal is a great way to help you stay on track with your weight-loss – you will see the progress you’re making, aso it’s a good way to keep yourself inspired and committed. Some members recommend using measurement charts and progress pictures to keep them motivated – they remind you why you’re losing weight, and they’re fun too.
Local Slimming World meetings are at Mullingar Park Hotel on Monday's Tuesdays and Wednesdays and at Coralstown Kinnegad GAA club on Thursdays.