Suspended sentence revoked for man who assaulted two ex-girlfriends

A man who subjected two of his ex-girlfriends to “very, very serious” assaults in 2023, has returned to prison for one year and three months following a breach in conditions of a suspended prison sentence.

In April of last year, Ben Curry (25), of no fixed abode, was handed consecutive sentences totalling seven years and backdated to when he first went into custody. The remaining four years and nine months were suspended for five years.

Mr Curry had been in custody since August 2023, when he appeared charged with assaulting two ex-girlfriends, causing them harm. He entered guilty pleas to both assaults.

The first of those attacks took place on January 1, 2023, at an apartment in Willow Park, Athlone, when he beat his ex-girlfriend and held a knife to her face while telling her to “pick a finger or a toe” and threatening to cut off her finger to “stop her texting boys”.

The second attack took place on May 22, 2023, behind Athlone Town Centre when he met another girlfriend who wanted to end their relationship. He subjected her to a 40-minute assault, which involved punching, head-butting and kneeing her to the face, before taking her €900 iPhone.

Judge Johnson imposed a sentence of three years and six months for the first assault, and a consecutive, identical sentence for the second to form a combined sentence of seven years, which he backdated to August 2023 when Mr Curry first went into custody.

He proceeded to suspend the remainder of the sentence on a number of conditions, including that Mr Curry undergo employment training, refrain from consuming alcohol, have no contact with the victims, engage in an evidence-based treatment programme for anger management, and reside with a specific person for a period of two years.

The case was re-entered before Judge Johnson after Mr Curry failed to engage with the Probation Service or forensic psychologist. He also admitted to drinking alcohol.

The court heard that Mr Curry had become homeless, which prevented him from complying with the conditions

A week prior to the re-entry of his case before the court, he had taken up a job working in a supermarket on an island in the west of the country, where a bed was also supplied.

However, due to his criminal history and the fact the house will be shared by six females and four males, the owner of the supermarket has withdrawn the job offer, the court heard.

Sergeant Sandra Keane informed the court that, when she rang Mr Curry’s employer, he had “done a bit of homework” and said Mr Curry could not return to work there.

“I can’t have that on my conscience, it’s too much. If I don’t make this decision, I’m sure the tenants will do their own research and I’ll have no employees and no one in the house,” he told Sgt Keane.

Andrea Callan BL, on behalf of Mr Curry, stated that the probation report had indicated her client was “on track for full time employment” after he had found a combination of work and a stable place to live on the island.

She said she “can’t blame” the employer, who had received phone calls from the probation officer and Sgt Keane in the space of 24 hours, but said her client “hasn’t had the opportunity to prove this is a turning point for him”. He now has neither employment nor accommodation, she added.

Judge Johnson noted that Mr Curry “seems to be doing well since engaging with Cope” in Galway. He noted one year and three months remaining on one of the previously imposed sentences, as well as the consecutive sentence of three years and six months.

Taking all circumstances into account, Judge Johnson activated the remaining one year and three months of the first sentence, sending Mr Curry back to prison.

Funded by the Courts Reporting Scheme