More information sought on Roadstone’s Cam Quarry plan

Roscommon County Council has deferred a decision on Roadstone Limited's planning application to extend operations at Cam Quarry in South Roscommon by a further 25 years, after expressing concern over several elements of the application.

On February 6, the council sought further information on 22 points relating to the application by Roadstone Ltd to continue extracting limestone using conventional blasting techniques and processing of rock using a crushing and screening plant. Also included in the planning application is a proposal to continue use of the ESB substation on the site.

Roadstone Limited has been associated with the site in the townslands of Curry and Cloonacaltry in Brideswell, for the past two decades, and last December it applied to Roscommon County Council for permission to continue use of the quarry for a further 25 years.

However, in a request for further information sent to the applicant earlier this month, the planning authority said it has concerns in relation to the proposals for a quarrying operational period of 25 years, while also raising what is said was ‘the potential adverse impact of the proposed development arising from dust emissions’, and the potential for noise impact in the area.

The Planning Authority said: “We are not satisfied that a sufficient assessment of the potential adverse impact of the proposed development arising from dust emissions has been provided based on submissions received and that this matter has been adequately addressed and mitigated.

“Notwithstanding the mitigation measures proposed, given the proximity of existing sensitive receptors to this site and the potential for dust to be deposited well beyond the confines of the site, you (Roadstone Limited) are requested to provide substantiated information which confirms that dust emissions/deposits beyond the confines of the site will not negatively impact upon the surrounding sensitive receptors,” the council said. The council said the application was proposing dust monitoring but had not outlined “appropriate dust mitigation measures to reduce dust impacts in the event where excessive dust exposure levels are recorded.”

The local authority has also requested the company's 'rationale/justification' for the proposed operational period of 25 years, as well as ‘details of appropriate noise mitigation measures to reduce noise impacts in the event that excessive noise exposure levels are recorded’.

In this respect, the council identified Feacle Turlough, Ballynamona Bog and Corkip Lough SAC as ‘potential ecological noise receptors’ due to their location within 2km of the application site.

The planning authority further said that it has 'serious concerns' regarding the proposal for off-site dewatering to the Ballyglass River, including in relation to the impact such activity may have on water quality at and downstream of the proposed outfall.

It has requested a rationale for discounting the management of water within the site, citing the existence of a hydrological conduit to the River Suck Callows SPA via this application’s proposed outfall. The council also said that consideration of 'alternative means' for groundwater management within the site is strongly advised.

The planning authority also said it has serious concerns regarding the proposal to discharge large quantities of water per day from the site, and the potential impact this may have on flooding, on the hydrological regime in the area, water quality and sensitive environmental and ecological receptors.

The company has been advised to submit evidence the outfall pipe has the structural capacity to accommodate the volume of discharge proposed from the siter

The Cam Quarry workforce currently consists of around 30 employees, and in a previous submission to the council regarding the application, it said that is envisaged to be maintained for the life of the proposed development. It also previously stated that applying for permission for a 25-year period was ‘considered reasonable’.

The council also said it has received eleven submissions and observations from concerned local parties regarding the planning application.

Roadstone Limited has six months to reply to the request for further information.