Cycling spin challenge to highlight move week
The HSE Community Games along with HSE staff in Athlone Primary Care and Athlone Institute of Technology are joining together to participate in a cycling spin challenge today.
The group of cyclists are aiming to cycle the equivalent distance of 615km from Malin head to Mizen Head as a team at AIT’s new Sports Centre.
The cycling spin challenge is to highlight MOVE Week which is taking place this week. MOVE Week is an initiative of the International Sporting and Cultural Association.
During MOVE Week, HSE staff are encouraged to be more active.
Tips for being active during the week include:
· If you work at a desk for long periods, set an alarm on your phone every 30 minutes to remind you to stand up from your desk and move
· Do some desk exercises: shoulder rolls, arm raises, leg squats and stretches
· Take the stairs at work instead of the lift
· Go for a short walk on your lunch break
· Have a standing meeting instead of a seated meeting
· At the weekend join in with your local free 5km parkrun event www.parkrun.ie
Encourage your colleagues to participate.