Three Athlone business premises gutted by fire
Three business premises in Athlone have been extensively damaged by fire.
A fast food restaurant, bookmakers and off licence at Baylough were gutted by the blaze which was reported to Athlone Fire Service around 8.30pm last night.
WATCH: The scene this morning.
No one was injured in the fire. However, the three business premises, which shared a common roof space, were gutted.
The adjacent Grove Bar is intact but suffered smoke damage, a Fire Service spokesperson confirmed.
Another residential property at the rear of the premises concerned was not damaged.
Athlone Fire Service were in attendance at the incident and sought assistance from units from Mullingar and Ferbane fire services.
WATCH: Fire fighters in action last night
Gardai also attended the scene and traffic diversions were in place.
The incident shocked locals and passers-by who watched firefighters battle the fire and thick plumes of smoke for many hours before they departed the scene at 7.30am.