Joe Ward fight night at Athlone Town Stadium postponed
The professional boxing event which was due to be headlined by Joe Ward in Athlone Town Stadium next month has been postponed.
The 32-year-old light heavyweight from Moate was due to top the bill on his home patch on Friday, June 12.
The event, billed as 'No Show Like a Joe Show' was being staged by Sheer Sports in association with Neil Power Promotions.
In a social media message, Sheer Sports said a "technical issue" had arisen which had forced the postponement.
However, it said it was hopeful the night of boxing in Athlone Town Stadium would take place at a later stage, and that a new date for it would be announced shortly.
"While the event has been postponed, the vision remains the same, to deliver a huge night for Irish boxing and an unforgettable atmosphere in Athlone Town Football Stadium," said Sheer Sports in an Instagram post.
"The support already shown has been incredible and we’re excited to bring everyone an even bigger and better event when the new date is announced shortly."
The Athlone boxing show was announced by the promoters on Tuesday of last week, May 12, with tickets going on sale that day.
The following day, Athlone Town AFC issued a statement in which it noted that the event "remains subject to final agreement and licensing approval".
In a message to those who bought tickets for the June 12 show, Sheer Sports said: "If the rescheduled date does not suit, full refunds will be available at the point of purchase".
The postponement is another setback for Joe Ward, who had a glittering amateur boxing career but has found opportunities difficult to come by in the professional ranks.