Taoiseach calls for release of Moate woman and other Irish detainees
Taoiseach Micheál Martin has called for the release of Moate woman Louise McCormack and her fellow Irish activists on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla after they were detained by Israeli military forces while travelling in international waters yesterday (Monday).
Ms McCormack, who is originally from Mount Carmel Drive in Moate, set off last month on the Global Sumud Flotilla as part of an effort to provide humanitarian aid for the people of the region.
In a voice message to the Westmeath Independent at around 8.30am yesterday, she said the boat she was travelling on was in the process of being intercepted by Israel.
"I'm going to be taken by the Israelis right now. We don't know what they're going to do with us," Ms McCormack said. Attempts to contact her since then have been unsuccessful.
It's been reported by national media that "at least six" Irish citizens were detained by Israel on Monday, including Margaret Connolly, the sister of President Catherine Connolly, who was travelling on the same boat as Louise McCormack.
Asked about the issue while in London yesterday, President Connolly expressed concern about the situation facing her sister and the other Irish detainees.
"It's quite upsetting. I'm very worried about her. I'm also very concerned about her colleagues on board," President Connolly told reporters.
"I've been very busy today... so I haven't really had a chance to get details in relation to my sister and indeed, equally importantly, her colleagues on board."
The Taoiseach, meanwhile, "strongly condemned" the interception of the boats and called for the release of the detained Irish citizens.
"I strongly condemn the interception of boats in the Sumud flotilla in international waters and the detention of those on board by Israeli military forces, and call for their immediate release," said a statement from the Taoiseach yesterday.
He added that the Government had raised concerns about the welfare of those detained by the Israeli authorities.
"Such interceptions and detentions are wholly unacceptable and must stop. The Government will also discuss with EU partners how we can ensure the safety and wellbeing of our citizens," Mr Martin added.
Human rights campaigner Caoimhe Butterly, who is on a vessel monitoring the flotilla, told RTÉ there had been no communication with the detainees since they were "illegally abducted" by the Israeli forces.