Man City not commenting on fresh report Pep Guardiola will leave in the summer
By Andy Hampson, Press Association
Manchester City are not commenting on a fresh report that manager Pep Guardiola is to stand down at the end of the season.
The Daily Mail has claimed Sunday’s final Premier League game against Aston Villa will be the Spaniard’s last after 10 years in charge.
Guardiola still has a year remaining on his contract and City’s position on the matter has not changed throughout the season, despite persistent speculation over the 55-year-old’s future.
It has been widely reported that former Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca will take over at the Etihad Stadium.
The 46-year-old, who was an assistant to Guardiola during City’s treble-winning campaign in 2022-23, has been out of work since leaving Stamford Bridge in January.
His departure from Chelsea came after he informed the club he had been in contact on multiple occasions with Manchester City about taking over from Guardiola.
The club declined to comment when contacted by the Press Association.
Guardiola has overseen one of the most successful managerial reigns in English football history.
Since his appointment in 2016, City have won 20 trophies including six Premier League titles and the Champions League.
They have also won the FA Cup three times and lifted the Carabao Cup on five occasions, including both competitions this season.
They remain in contention for the Premier League title and face Bournemouth on Tuesday, hoping to take the race with Arsenal to the final weekend.
Guardiola gave mixed messages when asked about his future earlier on Monday.
At a press conference to preview Tuesday’s trip to Bournemouth, Guardiola referenced both the “one more year” on his contract and a hypothetical new three-year deal.
Yet, as he has on several occasions, he stopped short of explicitly stating he would remain at City next term.
After being asked about Andoni Iraola’s imminent departure from Bournemouth, Guardiola was questioned on whether he had thought about his own farewell.
He sighed heavily and said: “Next (question). So many times – I have one more year!”
Guardiola was later asked if he would be honoured to have the newly-expanded North Stand at the Etihad Stadium named after him.
“No, no, no, no, no, no, I have no idea (about) that,” he said. “They don’t have to do anything, honestly.”
Guardiola then reflected on his time at City and the departures of John Stones and Bernardo Silva.
He said: “The important thing in our lives is when you look back and say, ‘Wow, you can look with a big smile and that is good’.
“And Bernardo and John can feel that. We spoke about that in last days and about what we lived.
“So when you are an old grandfather and you look back and you can laugh for the memories. That is the most important thing in life.
“Whatever happens in this part of the season, and when I extend my contract three more years, and after that I look back and say, how nice it has been.”